Flipkart - Search Bar

Wednesday, August 05, 2009

English. The ultimate language. (For me, at least. :) )

Have started Funny Side Up. Am not trying to review it or something, it does not require one, because it has been written by Ruskin Bond. I do not know or understand why this man has not gotten all the awards in the world. His books are simple, humorous, and nostalgic and many other complimentary adjectives to go with them.

He is what I would call the ultimate designer writer. If there ever was one, we have found him. His stories have all the necessary frills and lace and are as smooth as silk.

I remember as a kid, sitting in school, trying to read up collections of short stories and novels in literature class. Boy! I hated that. I feel today, when I read them, there is magic in those words, the simplicity in the language is perhaps the most exquisite. I liked reading outside of school, why then did I hate reading it for school? It was simple. I had to study then. I prefer reading to studying.

Now, after all these many years, after school that is, I find everyone of those words in those English books, which I had not found then. Shakespeare and Hardy and Austen. Enid Blyton, Roald Dahl, and O. Henry. John Grisham, Robin Cook and JK Rowling. The discovery never stops. Does not take a pause.

I was in a book store the other day, and my cousin, who was kind enough to get me a gift voucher, was not surprised when I exceeded it. He believes that giving me one of a higher amount would be silly, because I would still manage to exceed that as well.

I find that English cannot be taught, it has to be discovered. Then begins our voyage. Into a world, so vast and its splendour, so varied. So, let the exploration begin… and my own self discovery with it.
 
 
 

1 comment:

Amit said...

I love your blog!!! Its very interesting and I am gonna follow it!!
Thanks