Flipkart - Search Bar

Wednesday, November 09, 2016

Author Interview : Anusha Subramanian, author of 'Never Gone'



Anusha Subramanian
Read up, Interview with Anusha Subramanian, author of ‘Never Gone’. In this interview, she tells us, how the entire book came about, what gave her the idea of 'after death letter' element, how she relates the lives of her characters to lives today, the most challenging part of the story, which character she felt most close to, what she thought was different about her book, the next book she has planned  and much more, Folks…


How did ‘Never Gone’ happen? Could you describe the journey?

It’s actually a funny story how it happened. I had written a blog post on how it was to deal with the death of a classmate and how we take the time we have for granted.

Penguin saw it and offered me a book – based on that article. Obviously, I was beyond elated! It was literally a dream come true! 

What about the ‘after death letter’ element? What gave you the idea?

It’s something that has always been in the back of my mind but I never had an opportunity to fit it into anything I’ve written so far.

So, when I was offered this book, it just seemed to fit perfectly into the idea of the book and I could build my entire plot around it.

What according to you is different about your book?

I think it’s a very, very honest book in the sense that I haven’t tried to sugar coat anything. And also I think the characters are extremely relate-able and very true to themselves.

I hope that my readers will identify with at least one (if not more) of the characters!

How would you relate the lives of characters to the lives of ‘teens at school’ today? Any similarities?

There are endless similarities! The entire book is modelled on the lives of the teens at school today! All the challenges, the social pressures, the future worries, the friendships, the relationships – they are all as real in today’s times, as they are in the book.
 
What was the most challenging part about writing ‘Never Gone’?

Getting the characters right. I wanted them absolutely perfect and I planned each one out, created backstories, little quirks, little traits – some of them not even mentioned in the book – to ensure that I do them justice in the book. I wouldn’t write unless I was in the right head-space to channel the character I was writing about.
 
Which particular character did you feel most close to? Why?

There is literally a part of me in each and every one of them! I relate to Ananya and her flair for dramatics, I relate to Veera and her need to always be responsible. 

I relate to Siddharth’s constant inner battles, to the labels that Kavya has pinned on her, to Nikhil’s feeling of not fitting in, to Aslesha’s need to be liked, to Mahir’s hopelessness and to Aakash’s crushing regrets. I just relate to all of them. 

Who was it that told you that you could become the author, you are today?

No one. I decided for myself that I wanted to be one – I’m lucky that I had my dad there to see how being an author really was –  and I’m lucky enough that I was able to realize this dream.

When will you next book be out?

Hahaha, absolutely no clue. The best part of being this age is that I get to decide what I want to write and when.

HP and Friends
Who are your favourite authors and why?
Cassadra Clare

I love JK Rowling (of course), because my entire childhood was filled with Harry Potter and HP has given me many life-long friends.

I also love Cassandra Clare because MY GOD her writing is FLAWLESS.

What else do you do on a daily basis?

I’m an IB student which means I really don’t have a life XD. No just kidding, it’s not that bad. I love reading and spending time with friends – going out, parties, binge watching TV shows etc. Normal Teenage stuff!!

What advice do you have for the young writers like yourself?

Just write! But always be true to yourself while writing because if you don’t believe in what you write, then you shouldn’t be writing in the first place.


You can Read the Review here and Buy the Book  here, as well.

No comments: