Flipkart - Search Bar

Friday, May 19, 2017

Author Interview : Ranjani Rengarajan - Deoras, author of ‘My Lyfe Misspelt’

Ranjani Rengarajan - Deoras
Read up, Interview with Ranjani Rengarajan - Deoras, author of ‘My Lyfe Misspelt’. In this interview, she tells us, how the entire book came about, what gave her the idea of 'tomboy' element, how she relates the lives of her characters to lives today, the most challenging and fulfilling parts of the story, which character she felt most close to, what she thought was different about her book, the next book she has planned, and much more, Folks…

How did ‘My Lyfe Misspelt’ happen? Could you describe the journey?

I always knew I had a more unusual childhood than others.
Being a naughty kid in the more conservative city possible was a recipe for disaster. I enjoyed creating Anupama and the characters around her and the story mostly told itself. 

What about the tomboy element? What gave you the idea? How much of you was in it?

The struggle of being a girl who gets friend-zoned by the guys is something only a tomboy would understand. That combined with everyone in class going out with each other - even if the true extent of going out was holding hands - was a delicious juxtaposition that I wanted to explore.

There are many similarities between Anu and me. But she’s a much more exaggerated version of me… everything that she does is a lot more extreme than what I do.

What according to you is different about your book?

The tone for starters… the book’s written like a conversation, like I’m talking to you, as you sit across from me. It’s a story of Anu as she goes through life unapologetically, mostly to the amusement of those around her.

It’s a year in the life of a bunch of teenagers as they struggle to conform, whilst wanting to break free.

How would you relate the lives of characters to the lives of ‘teens at school' today? Any similarities?
 
Teenagers of today are a lot smarter than we were. What with all the gadgets out there today, it’s a wonder how they get to study at all. Anu and her friends were from a slightly simpler time… where there was one single TV in the household and all battles would be fought around who gets to watch.

Being a teenager is a confusing, frustrating, exhilarating time and that hasn’t changed. If anything, it starts at a tween age nowadays.

What were the most challenging and the most fulfilling parts about writing ‘My Lyfe Misspelt’?

Managing work and the need to write was probably the most challenging thing. You have days when the words come out easier than other days; the challenge is in finding time to write on such days.

I cherished those good days, when the words came easy and the characters did something that totally took me by surprise.

Are you considering a second part to this book? If so, when?

The story of Anu has just begun. I’m still writing the second one, so you should see it out soon!

Which particular character do you feel most close to? Why?

Definitely, Anupama Rajan… she’s closest to my heart, since she’s closest to the kind of person I am. But having said that, Anu is Anu because of the people around her and I loved her equation with all of them.

Who was it that told you that you could become the author, you are today?

I think the first person who believed in me was my mother. She always wanted me to be an author, so this is more of a dream come true for her than for me!

When will you next book be out?

I’m still writing Book 2 of the series, so hopefully soon!

Who are your favourite authors and why?

Harper Lee
PG Wodehouse
Harper Lee for the most amazing central character ever written. Ruskin Bond for simplicity in words. RK Narayan for painting such a beautiful picture. 

Jhumpa Lahiri and Robert James Waller for poetry in prose. PG Wodehouse for sheer brilliance in humour. And so many more! 

What else do you do on a daily basis?

I love that my work allows me to play with words… I’m a marketer and wordsmith by profession.

What advice do you have for young writers like yourself?

Write… first one para, then one chapter, then a few. But, write. Even if it’s the most difficult thing you’ve done. Even if you think it sucks… You’ll get better. You’ll get there.

Nail your a** to the floor and write, dammit! The world needs stories!


You can Read the Review here and Buy the Book  here, as well.

No comments: