Flipkart - Search Bar

Thursday, August 16, 2018

Author Interview : Ishita Deshmukh, author of ‘Heart Quake' (Part 1)

Ishita Deshmukh
Read up, part one of the Interview with Ishita Deshmukh, author of ‘Heart Quake' (Part 1). Here, the romantic answers questions about how the book came out and weirdly enough the Bhuj Earthquake had its own impact on her writing.

How she feels her book is different, the most challenging and the most fulfilling parts of the book are, the character she feels most close to, and why. There is more in the second half, Folks...


How did ‘Heart Quake’ happen? Could you describe the journey?

It all started as a class assignment in 2001, when I was in my 12th grade. My teacher asked me to write a short story on the Bhuj earthquake, which had to have romance as its central theme. In 2006-2007, I came across it by chance, and decided to turn it into a novel. 

By then, I was already pursuing an online creative writing course from Manchester and working in the family business. A few drafts later, I dropped it to pursue my MBA and then join an MNC for a couple years. In 2012, I took it up again, and this time round, I completed it.

What according to you is different about your book?

There are a few different aspects in my book. Most love stories are either college romances, or set in political crises, such as terrorist attacks, partition, riots etc, in contrast, my story is set in a natural disaster, one of the biggest in Indian history.
Secondly, it is a mature love story, which sets it apart from the usual college romances. And lastly, it’s not just a love story, but a romance in its essence, an emotional drama interspersed with suspense and crime.
How would you relate the lives of characters to the lives of today? Any similarities?

The characters are relatable as the situation is familiar : we frequently are faced with natural disasters, and medical teams are deployed to take care of the victims.

Moreover, in modern times, Indian women passionately pursue their careers and often marry later than the norm. I have also touched upon the corrupt side of any business and how it is so merciless.

What were the most challenging and the most fulfilling parts about writing ‘Heart Quake’?

The most challenging part of writing Heart Quake is getting a publisher and to bring out the end product. The fulfilling part is writing the story, living with the characters and imagining what is possible with them.

Which particular character do you feel most close to? Why?

I have always felt close to Sonal because I wrote the story around her. She is the protagonist, who is forced into an emotional journey wherein her decisions, not only affect her life but also of those around her.


You can Read the Review and Buy the Book, here as well.

No comments: