Flipkart - Search Bar

Thursday, September 20, 2018

Author Interview : Manini J Anandani, author of 'Mandodari : Queen of Lanka' (Part 2)

Manini J Anandani
Read up, the concluding part of the Interview with Manini J Anandani, author of 'Mandodari : Queen of Lanka' (Part 2). Questions such as, challenges that she had to face while writing this particular book and the most fulfilling part of this book were answered.

What she is planning on writing next, any authors she takes inspiration from, who her favourite authors, and the books, she is reading currently, are questions she answers, Folks...


Any challenges you had to face, while writing this particular book?

Ramayana is not just a story, it is our ‘Itihasa’; it is sacred. Most of us have already made up our minds about the story of Ramayana and we are always given an exemplary view of the plot when our elders narrate it to us.

So, what was challenging for me was that I had to narrate the antagonistic or losing side of the plot and at the same time maintain the status quo of the epic.

What is the most fulfilling part of writing this book?

When I write, I feel it enables me to articulate many feelings and notions into a character. While writing Mandodari, I felt I could pour it all down into her characterization.

It is fictional, but the most fulfilling part is that it gives me a sense of liberation. And probably that’s why I added an ‘Afterword by Mandodari’ section towards the end of the book that reads like an emancipated monologue.

What are you planning on writing next? When would you see that released?

I am working on yet another hero’s story from mythology, which I shall announce soon. I have just started working on it and will take at least a year to finish it.

Is there an author you take inspiration from?

JK Rowling
I am able to figure some exclusive take - away for myself in each book that I read. So, I would say each author has inspired me.

However, if I have to name a particular author, then that will be JK Rowling – I think she is a genius and I can just wish that I am able to create something as marvelous as Harry Potter.

Who are your favourite authors and why?

In the genre that I write, my favourite authors are: 

Anand Neelakantan
Ramesh Menon - Because his narratives are magnificent and modest at the same time. He takes no sides and hence his books are self-effacing, simply brilliant. 

Anand Neelakantan – I feel he is the master of counter-telling, his characters and plots are so detailed, speculative and well researched.

Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni
Devdutt Pattanaik – He has explored so much in mythology and has contributed so much towards this genre. His book ‘The Pregnant King’ is one of my favourites.

Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni – I think she has created a masterpiece with ‘The Palace of Illusions.’
 

Which books are you reading, currently?

I am reading two currently – Hindu Mythology’ by WJ Wilkins and ‘The Tao of Physics’ by Fritjof Capra.

What do you do on a day to day basis, besides writing stories?

Besides writing, I am a hands-on mother of a three year old - super-active daughter and at the same time, I am also a student of Comparative Mythology.

I am an avid reader, also shopaholic (but much sober these days).


You can Read the Review here, the  First part of the Interview here, and Buy the Book right here, as well. 

No comments: