Flipkart - Search Bar

Friday, December 06, 2013

Author Interview : Sadiqa Peerbhoy, author of 'Marry Go Round'


Hyderabad always had this weird feeling for me. Though, I have always felt at home, it also spoke to me perhaps due to its laid back attitude, its laziness, and of course, the feeling of Saturdays.

Well, it was good to know that I wasn't the only one with this feeling. Sadiqa Peerbhoy, the author of this book, 'Marry Go Round' took it a step further... Here she talks of the city's contasts and its own marital drama, and Enid Blyton, to go with it.  Here, she adds more to my MGR's review.

Feels like quite tho good ol' Hyderabadi menu, stacked with all its spices...

How did ‘Marry Go Round’ happen? 

I quit my high stress adverting job and allied fields and gave myself three months to get the book out. I had earlier written two. 

One, a book of short stories and another, compilation of my columns from the newspapers. ‘Marry Go Round’ (MGR) is my first full length book.

Hyderabad is the place, which has been the basis for your book. What all were inspirations in the city?

My parents come from Hyderabad, and I am familiar with the milieu. The contrasts in the city fascinate me.

It is a very interesting mix of old values and modern lifestyle. Its people are very inspiring in their warmth and simplicity. And the hankering for drama in their lives was all inspirations in their own way.

Marriage is a universal topic. How did you come up with the core idea and develop it? 

I think it's universal for parents of a certain age to want their kids to settle down and procreate. More so, if they are obsessed with perpetuating their lineage.

That is why the mother is obsessed with Riaz getting married and having a child from the right kind of girl.

How would you relate the book and its characters to the lives today? Any similarities?

MGR and its characters are very credible in the present day Hyderabad, where the clash of old values and new beliefs are of heard in every home.

Who was it that told you that you could become the author, you are today?

I wanted to be a writer since I was five years old and discovered Enid Blyton!

Any advice to writers that would like to be published today? How tough is it to be published in India?

That is the toughest part till you make a name for yourself. Most publishers do not even reply for 6-8 months leaving you in limbo.

I would advise authors to write, what is commercially viable by checking out the current best sellers.

Who are your favourite authors?

Too many among Indian writers, I like Amitav Ghosh and Anuja Chauhan.

Which book are you currently reading?

‘The Hope Factory’ by Lavanya Shankaran and ‘Between the Lines’ by Jodi Picoult.

What book is coming from your desk, next? When do you see it released?

It is named ‘The Ghost of Barron House’, and it should be out in 2014.

What else do you like to do on a daily basis?

I write for about three hours, and then I read or watch TV. Twice a week, I go for Hindustani music classes.

No comments: