Flipkart - Search Bar

Wednesday, June 06, 2018

Author Interview : Murli Melwani, author of ‘Ladders Against the Sky' (Part 2)


Read up, Interview with Murli Melwani, author of 'Ladders Against the Sky' (Part 2). Here, he tells us what his experiences were, and how they were related to what he wrote, the most fulfilling part of the book was, when his next book would be out, who his favourite authors and which books he is currently, reading and a lot more, Folks...



Could you tell the readers about your experiences and how they were related to what you have written?


What I observed, felt, thought, reacted too – whether it was regarding the people I met or the locales I travelled through or the way of living I shared during that period - became the warp and woof of the stories.

What is the most fulfilling part of writing this book?

The book itself. It is a record of my experiences and how I interpreted them.

Since we live as much with our memories as we do in the present, the stories will help me to time-travel and re-live my experiences whenever I’m so inclined.

Murli Melwani
Who was it that told you that you could become the author that you are today?

One of my English Literature teachers, Rev Brother Michael D. Curran, when I asked him why everything I wrote was so prolix, he said as I move from teen age to the next phase of my life my writing would become muscular.

‘Writing matures with the person’. I doubted his advice at that time. Time has proved him right.

When will your next book be out?

I hope to write about the experience of Indians who visit their adult children working in America. They come to the States every year, anywhere from 1 month to 6 (the maximum time their visa allows them.)

The problem is that their children and the children’s spouses have full time jobs. The result is that the parents have their company only for a few hours in the evening. What they pass the time during the rest of the day will be the subject of the book. I don’t know when I’ll start working on the book.

Who are your favourite authors and why?

Somerset Maugham
Sir Salman Rushdie

Why? Because they entertain - in the best sense of the word.

Which books are you currently reading?
Colson Whitehead

Three books concurrently. Crazy? Of course. ‘The Feast Days’ by Ian MacKenzie (dealing with the experience of  the ‘trailing spouses’ of expatriates), ‘The Ninth Hour’ by Alice McDermott and ‘The Underground Railway’ by Colson Whitehead.

What else do you do on a daily basis?

Sri Sri Ravi Shankar’s Sudarshan Kriya (more or less daily), workout in the gym, read, and drink - my favourite Assam tea!



You can Read the Review, here First part of the Interview here and Buy the Book right here, as well.

No comments: