Flipkart - Search Bar

Wednesday, July 10, 2019

Author Interview : Supriya Sehgal author of 'A Tigress called Machhli and Other True Animal Stories from India' (Part 2)


Supriya Sehgal
Read up, the concluding part of the Interview with Supriya Sehgal, author of 'A Tigress called Machhli and Other True Animal Stories from India' (Part 2). Questions such as the biggest lesson she (positive or negative), she has picked up, and has she ever run low on any money during her tours, any particular story she feels close to, what she felt, was the most fulfilling part of her story and the most challenging part.

What she is planning on writing next, any authors she takes inspiration from, who her favourite authors, and the books, she is reading currently, are questions she answers, Folks...



What is the biggest lesson (positive or negative) you’ve learned through this entire adventure?

The biggest lesson learned over years of adventuring around India is that you have to operate with implicit trust in people and your surroundings. Our minds are so wired to judge and doubt. This attitude doesn’t help at all.

Have you felt ever lonely being a solo adventurer? 

No, I quite enjoy my own company. It can get physically exhausting sometimes. I’ve started taking a day’s break in the middle of my travel, when I have to go over 10 days.

Have you ever run low on money during your tour?

Yes, I have been in a strange situation in Nepal where none of my cards worked and I had only some hundred odd Indian rupees. I felt quite stuck but things worked out when my AirBNB owner came to my rescue.

What are your future travel plans?

I’m quite unfamiliar with Maharashtra and plan to explore that on my own, as Bombay is going to be base, from now on. My partner and I are making an extensive Italy itinerary.

Which particular story do you feel most close to? Why?
This is quite hard, as I have met most of the animals and people featured in the book. Ashok Baba and Julie in Varanasi, Babiya from my initial solo travels and Vijay Sharma and his absurd way of feeding the monkeys of Galta Ji Temple are most memorable for me.
What is the most fulfilling part of writing this book? And what is the most challenging?

The fulfilling part came after the book reached the hands of children who called, mailed and messaged via their parents to chat about the book and ask more questions. 
The most challenging part was sticking to deadlines. I assumed that this would be a breeze to write, but it has been the most difficult thing ever :).

What else do you do on a daily basis?
I write for travel publications, edit and do a lot of commercial writing and content strategy for brands.
Who are your favourite authors and why?
Ruskin Bond
Bijal Vachharajani

In the realm of children’s books, I love Shruthi Rao, Bijal Vachharajani and the evergreen Ruskin Bond. Mo Willems and Drew Daywalt are others that I admire.

Which books are you currently reading?
I just picked up Animal Indica edited by Sumana Roy.

You can Read the Review,  here as well.

No comments: