Flipkart - Search Bar

Thursday, July 04, 2019

Author Interview : Supriya Sehgal author of 'A Tigress called Machhli and Other True Animal Stories from India'


Supriya Sehgal
Read up, Interview with Supriya Sehgal, author of 'A Tigress called Machhli and Other True Animal Stories from India'. This interview is a treat! 
In this interview, she tells us, how the entire book first happened, how she got  her personal story and managed to combine it with the subject of the book, what inspired her to start writing this book, and how her way of thinking has changed, since she first started travelling and writing, there is more coming up, Folks...

How did ‘A Tigress called Machhli and other True Animal Stories from India’ first happen?
Having been in the travel writing space for a decade, I always wanted to write something for children that married travel and a sense of inclusivity. The original idea was to write something that would bridge the north-south divide – food, culture and appearance wise.

But that seemed a bit patronising and I thought of the many unique animal-human relationships, I had seen on the road. Giving it a simple and slightly humorous spin was my editor, Nimmy Chacko’s idea. She is the one who steered the messaging and the humour in the book.
How did you bring out your personal story and combine it into the entire subject?
 
That was pretty natural, as I have met almost all the protagonists in the book or have interviewed them on phone over ten tears. When you’ve actually travelled or have experiences (childhood) to tap into, then, the combining is pretty easy.


I have some more stories on the same topic in the kitty – but we had to be conscious that the book wasn’t leaning to a particular kind of animal (read, dogs) :)

What kind of research was put into the writing of this book?
Since I have personally met most of the people and animals featured in the book, it was really primary research. In some cases, it was based on phone interviews. The historical nuggets were researched from secondary resources.
What according to you is different about your book?
It has been our effort to not make the book pedantic, but keep it engaging for the children and also, strike empathy in them. Plus, it has a clear travel angle by mentioning the destinations and backdrop.

I think the book has been able to find that balance, which makes it different. It’s not an instructive travel or animal book.

Any advice to writers that would like to be published today? How tough is it to be published? 

My advice would be to be flexible about your topic, if you are completely new in the arena. The publishing houses and editors tend to know the audience better if you are not familiar with the genre.


For example, this is my 40th or so book, but only the second directed to children (the first was a story, as part of an anthology). I was happy to get insights from the Hachette team and the end product is much better than what I had imagined. 


On getting published, I had it easy, but the writing world is much more democratic now. Publishing houses are also looking for good content that would make commercial sense. Pitch away!

What has inspired you to start writing this book?

My desire to influence young travelers to see India with a compassionate eye was the original idea. The fact that I could include animals in it was an added advantage.


How has your way of thinking changed since you first started travelling and writing?

I think my travels earlier were much more pure and agenda-less. Since most of my travel is for commercial projects, there is a work slant almost all the time.


However, I think I have learnt to pace things rather than dash in - dash out. Writing certainly compels you to be present to the simplest of situations, dig for stories and take in the place more deeply.

You can Read the Review,  here as well.


No comments: