Flipkart - Search Bar

Friday, September 02, 2016

Poirot, Marple and I... an odd conjunction?


Agatha Christie (Wikipedia)

I am way too used to writing on children’s authors, but this time I am kind of putting myself in a twist. I have decided to write on authors in general. And Agatha Christie too, to start off with.

She was a brilliant author, with a rather subtle sense of humour, which was reflected in her whodunits. Obviously, my two favourite detectives were Hercule Poirot and Miss Marple. And as they belonged to her books, I always imagined myself in the books, when I was reading them, growing up. I was always Hastings or a young woman to Poirot and a young girl in the Miss Marple series. 

I did not have a single character to go on in the Miss Marple’s books, but since it was this ultra-cool detective series, it was a little too much to give up on! She had a much too cute house to live in too. So, I thought that the best thing to do was imagine, myself as someone in that very house, and I actually went on to Bertram's, 'At Bertram’s Hotel' too in my head, of course. My imagination guided me across.

In the Poirot series, I enjoyed ‘The Murder of Roger Ackroyd’, in King’s Abbott. I had joined Monsieur Poirot, on this one too, as just a clever little girl (this was years ago, so am allowed to call myself, a ‘little girl’). This and also, on ‘Hercule Poirot’s Christmas’ too.

Wish Maggie Smith had played Miss Marple... (taken from tumblr.com)
The best thing was that I could see them and imagine them all, and think all too, considering my brain worked closely with Poirot and Miss Marple’s too. ;) ‘The Murder in Mesopotamia’, 'The Murder at the Vicarage' and 'A Murder is Announced' are other brilliant novels, with the characters so well etched.

But, I did have a few real characters to deal with in the Poirot series. Miss Felicity Lemon, who kept bothering me, in her hypnotic world. Dr Sheppard too, who to me, seemed like he was interfering too much through the novel, creating much more to my own character.

David Suchet (taken from Wikipedia)
Fortunately, for me, David Suchet came around making my imagination, a little easier for me. Miss Marple, on the other hand was never played by someone, who could be imagined easily. I always thought, of 'who could play the role in my head?' I must say that when, I had almost given up on not finding a single soul, Maggie Smith happened, and I thought she would be perfect for Miss Marple’s role. 

So, David Suchet and Maggi Smith and I, are fitting perfectly into my world of these odd and eccentric old characters, which I have built up here ‘in my head’. We have a lot of fun too, solving and discovering!! :)

No comments: