Flipkart - Search Bar

Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Author Interview : Pushpendra Mehta, author of 'The Suitable Inheritor'

Pushpendra Mehta
Read up, the the Interview with Pushpendra Mehta, author of 'The Suitable Inheritor'. If we give this book its due, we would understand what it is that I meant by calling it a lyrical book. This work was a piece of emotional literature. 

This interview consists of how the book actually happened, how Andrew's characterisation came about, how the love angles came into the picture, how the the social, spiritual and economic backgrounds affected his writing, who his favourite authors are, and much, much more, Folks... 



How did ‘The Suitable Inheritor’ happen? Could you describe the journey?

While in Peru, my colleagues and I visited Larcomar, a unique shopping and entertainment centre that is located at the top of a cliff overlooking the Pacific Ocean. I fell in love with the breath-taking view of the Pacific Ocean. It was here that a few colleagues suggested I write a novel that featured Larcomar and Lima. The seeds of my novel, “The Suitable Inheritor” were sown in Larcomar.


After writing two non-fiction books, I decided to make the leap to writing fiction. I wrote the novel with my heart, soul, and mind completely immersed into it. I wrote with all the sincerity and honesty at my command to share a meaningful story with readers. The intensive journey involved long hours of writing, editing, and rewriting. 

How did the main character, Andrew Smith come about? How much of you, was in there?

'The Suitable Inheritor' and Andrew’s character emanates from my experiences and conversations. As a storyteller, I started with myself because the characters in my novel are all part of me, and observations of the world around me. 

As a writer, I have learnt to reveal emotional truths inside of me, while projecting the readers’ emotions into my characters to liven up the chapters.

How did the love angles come into the picture and why?



I feel blessed and fortunate to have been befriended by smart, wise, and extraordinary women that helped me grow as a person and enriched my written voice. I believe true love (not love) is the most powerful human emotion. 

It is a fabric of emotions woven with adoration, adaptability, support, companionship, care, conversation, commitment, understanding, generosity, sacrifice, respect, freedom, and trust. But most people do not see true love as an amalgam of the aforesaid emotions. 

This possibly explains why true love is hard to find and sustain. So I created an unusual story of true love and profound relationships that will hopefully, enable readers to rediscover true love and fulfillment.  

What according to you is different about your book?

The Suitable Inheritor is a journey to the extraordinary – extraordinary love and success. I believe that extraordinary success and love have one thing in common. They both require support and sacrifice.  

The novel explores the difference between success and greatness by weaving an inspirational romantic story that spans Chicago and Peru with a strong India connect. 

Few writers may have taken this route. And to my utter surprise, I have been told by some readers that 'The Suitable Inheritor' should be adapted into a movie. 

What was the most challenging part about writing, ‘The Suitable Inheritor’?

The most challenging part was the placement of three different worlds (Chicago, Peru, and India) into the context of a single story. 

How did the social, spiritual and economic backgrounds affect your writing?

I am fortunate to have grown up in a family that adopted the best of Eastern and Western thought and culture. I am equally lucky to have experienced the richness of life that comes through interaction with the underprivileged and the privileged, the powerless and the powerful.  

Additionally, my spiritual guru helped me get in touch with my spiritual side and did so without recourse to any monetary commitment such as fee, gifts, donation, and publicity. 

Such is the altruistic and holistic dissemination of spirituality bestowed upon me that it acts as a tremendous source of inspiration when I write a book or an article.

Could you tell the readers about your experiences and how it was it related to what you wrote?

I have donned diverse roles - writer, marketer, consultant, and entrepreneur. The magnificence of varied experiences has enhanced my understanding of human behaviour, success, life, and relationships culminating into 'The Suitable Inheritor'. 

A quote from the novel sets the tone for exceptional success and happiness - 'Pursue your passion, work with your intuition, learn as a child, and adapt as water.'

Any advice to writers that would like to be published today? How tough is it to be published?

Start with the belief that you are unique and have a story nobody else has. Remember adept story telling will engage readers. Read vigorously. Write a page every day. Write about what you know or enjoy. 

Be prepared to write, edit and rewrite. Write to make a difference or to leave a legacy. And write without fear of failure or rejection.


Traditional publishing is getting very competitive, but if you have a compelling story it is worth pitching to them. Self-publishing is easier and a faster way to launch a book as long as it is followed by effective marketing and communications strategies. 

While engaging content, editing and rewriting, attractive book cover, and blurb are important attributes in the book publishing process, but without prudent marketing or publicity a book will be confined primarily for family 
and friends’ distribution.


What is the next book that you have planned?

I have a few ideas for my next book. Hopefully, will get started in 2017.

Which book are you currently reading?  


Paulo Coelho
Who are your favourite authors and why?
Mitch Albom

Paulo Coelho and Mitch Albom, are among my favourite authors. Their books provide the transformative joy of rereading and serve as a conduit to self-discovery. 

What else do you do on a daily basis?

I indulge in reading, playing tennis, engaging with my readers, honing my marketing skills, and staying active on social media.


You can  Read the Review, right here and Buy the Book, here too.

No comments: